It is vital to restore meaningful public engagement - giving you a real say on what happens in your neighbourhood and city - and to standardize procedures for public consultation with a defined timeline that provides certainty for all stakeholders and community members.
A large part of a representative's role is to engage with the people, keep them informed about potential changes in their neighbourhoods, consult with them through multiple channels, involve them in dialogue and deliberation, collaborate, and ultimately empower the people toward more direct decision-making. Instead of the current top-down autocratic decision-making practices and ideologically-driven policies, we need to support the grassroots and re-establish transparency and accountability in the public policy process.
- Stop steamrolling communities and restore meaningful public engagement – giving you a real say on what happens in your neighbourhood and city.
- Standardize procedures for public consultation, with a defined timeline that provides certainty for all stakeholders and community members.
- Implement live online broadcast of community consultations.
- Explore new and innovative ways to consult with residents, particularly young professionals and parents who have less time to attend meetings and hearings.
- Authenticate the online consultation process rather than use market research technology.
- Ensure transparency and privacy protection.